In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Friday, March 03, 2006

Philosophy Friday

GOOD STUFF
Despite menstrual bloat, the scale said 159.5 this morning!!!
The great review rating from RT
Nausea and headache all week but not full-blown flu
Solved some story problems in ASOM
Spend quality time with my boys each night

GOOD ADVICE
"The concept of downtime, or goofing off, is shrouded in mystery for one simple reason: It infuriates the writer's [people in his life]. They just don't get it... But there's a subtle difference between procrastination and creative, productive, process-nourishing goofing off... When a writer is working well, these side activities... allow that part of your brain that creates to work unconsciously, filtering and sorting, slecting and disgarding... One person's day-dreamer is another person's writer in training."
-Dennis Palumbo, WRITING FROM THE INSIDE OUT, pages 141-143

Obviously, I like anybody who gives me permission to goof off. But more than that I've found heeding the advice very helpful. Back in January I started my first book collage after reading Jenny Cruisie's article. While mine isn't 3D or as elaborate as hers, I'm damned proud of how it's turning out. It has helped me enormously to visualize MIDNIGHT, as well as inspiring new ideas. So get a piece of sturdy cardboard, some magazines, scissors and glue and go Have Fun for an hour!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home