In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

America's sweethearts

Well, we watched the 12 female finalists sing tonight and I have to say that I was surprised by some of the performances.

I thought Brenna would have been better, instead she played it safe and... boring.

Kellie is just so sweet and I wanted to like her but I thought both she and her song were forgettable, as Simon would say.

Becky will go on to a very successful career as a model/actress. I never thought she she have made it through the Hollywood auditions but I'm trying not to hate her because she's beautiful.

Ayla is also beautiful but in a wholesome, accessible way. And she's talented. I'm a _huge_ Christina Aguilera fan so I was worried, but I think Ayla pulled it off.

I think Stevie will find success as a ballad or opera singer- but not on American Idol.

Heather is undistiguishable from Kellie, except Kellie seems nicer. Heather's performance was equally forgettable.

Katherine has been one of my favorites from the beginning so I was surprised that I wasn't more impressed with her performance. She seemed uncomfortable on stage, with those goofy little head bobs at the end.

I think Paris is adorable. I love her smile and her bubbly personality. I didn't love her performance tonight, though, and I'm not sure why.

Melissa surprised me because I didn't remember her at all from the auditions but I think she chose a good song and performed it well.

I think Kinnik may have been trying a bit too hard, but I did really like her. I liked that she dressed up and that she gave it all she had.

Lisa is a young woman to be watched. I think she is amazing for her age. I hate to qualify my opinion but I think she still has some developing to do and then watch out! I guess I just felt a Jennifer Holiday song was too ambitious for Lisa's voice.

And finally but not at all least, Mandisa blew me away. Absolutely blew me away. I'm really rooting for her to go all the way.

So, my votes for the first real night of American Idol were:
1) Mandisa
2) Katherine
3) Lisa
4) Ayla
5) Kinnik
6)Paris
7) Melissa

2 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Heather was unforgettable.

My pick for the final four is Lisa - loved her!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Heather was unforgettable.

My pick for the final four is Lisa - loved her!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home