In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Monday, February 27, 2006

Review revisions

Aspiring author and book reviewer Marilyn Puett had asked, What qualms should an author have about pulling quotes out-even ifthey are out of context. Such as "I loved it when the book was finally over" becomes "I loved it."

As a blatant own horn tooter, no I have no qualms about pulling quotes apart at all. My goal is to present my work in the best light I can and even when a review is positive/ recommended, the reviewer doesn't always have good enough writing skills to make the review usable. On the other hand, sometimes it's a matter of space [like for an ad] or a matter of focus. This is the review I got from Alane Coppinger of Romance Junkies:

I absolutely loved this story. I worried through Rei's health scare and got angry when the cliche about no good deed going unpunished proved all too true for Chris. And you know what? I think everyone needs a friend like PJ. She is Rei's staunchest supporter and knows just when she needs sympathy, a little push or some friendly advice. Chris and Rei both learned something about forgiveness, trust, and second chances. Mia Zachary not only wrote a hot story with an appealing plot and all-too-human characters, she also included serious undertones that will give readers plenty to think about long after the last page has been read. I highly recommend this book!

This, however, is what I'll actully upload to my website:
I absolutely loved this story. Chris and Rei both learned something about forgiveness, trust, and second chances. Mia Zachary wrote a hot story with an appealing plot and all-too-human characters. I highly recommend this book!

Why? Because it's more concise and focused this way. I haven't changed any of Alane's words or really taken them that much out of context. I would never do what Marilyn showed in her example because to me, that's lying.

Or is it marketing/ spin doctoring? Writers, what's your opinion?
Readers, do reviews have any influence on which books you choose to buy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home