In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

You (the reader) complete me

I found this quote over in an article on BookSquare's blog:

[E.L. Doctorow] said, “Reading is a very creative act; until the book is read, it’s really not completed. Lines on the page are like a circuit that the reader’s life flows through.”

Now I'm the first to admit to being a self-promotion slut. I'm always trying to think of ways to reach readers old and new for as little of the money I don't have as possible. One of the best ways, in my opinion, is book reviews. By sending my book out and getting a semi-professional opinion which is then posted on an Internet site, my books are hopefully seen by lots of romance readers, who will then hopefully be inspired to go out and buy said book.

But as much as I like getting a great review [cruise on over to my bragging page if you're interested] I love getting letters from readers even more. And that's saying a lot!

But here's the thing. I think Doctorow is dead on. Some authors write for money, acknowledgment, praise, ego strokes, pleasure and most write for all of the above. Myself included. But the book isn't complete, it isn't real to me, until I know for certain that one of the people I intended it to entertain has read and enjoyed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home