In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Friday, February 03, 2006

Philosophy Friday

What does it mean...that I haven't written a single page today and couldn't be happier?

I had a little breakdown yesterday that resulted in a migraine and chest pains. Simply put- too many errands and obligations and nowhere near enough time or energy.

So today, I gave myself the goal of writing One Single Page, sometime before midnight. And amazingly, my stress disappeared. I will get the page written and probably several more later tonight. But allowing myself to take the day off was a welcome treat... and incredibly productive on other ways:

GOOD STUFF
half hour of weight training for exercise
half hour of vacuuming/sweeping while dancing to the radio
took large box children's clothes to post office
washed two loads of laundry
straightened house
shopped for groceries

GOOD ADVICE
"Writing demands a lot from the writer: time, emotion, originality, solitude, imagination, curiosity, daring, and endless creativity. Our vision of the story is often much more perfect than our realization of it. At times that blank page seems like a big rectangular white eye glaring back at us... This means developing ruthless self-discipline and writing on a regular schedule... I advocate writing every day, even if it's only for ten minutes."Lynn Viehl, WAY OF THE CHEETAH, pages 25 and 28

I've never been one to write every day- I need time to _think_; I have to see the scenes in my head like a movie. But I'm going to try this anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home