In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Strong heroine's and Finding balance

I’ve been struggling a bit with the wip, which will be my first single title and romantic mystery so it has to be the very best I can do. http://www.steelemidnight.com/ I’ve been worrying about my characters and how I’m writing them. The heroine, Steele, is a kick-ass Vegas P.I. with a couple of secrets. The hero, Stone, is a kick-ass former soldier and mercenary with a couple of vulnerabilities. That means I’m trying like hell not to write him too needy and her too cold. But I’ve found reassurance in the following snippets:

Michele Albert on her blog “So, for me, a strong heroine that’s a match for a strong hero is a woman who is self-confident, likes herself, believes in what she’s doing, doesn’t apologize if she likes pink or cries at sappy movies, isn’t afraid to say no or make difficult decisions or make money. She doesn’t define herself by whether or not she has a wedding ring or gave birth. If she makes a mistake, she acknowledges it and learns from it. She owns up to her responsibilities, is honest with herself.”

And over on Romancing the Blog Sandy Oakes said, “She must be a woman who does not need a man to complete her, but wants a man to be her compliment. Her strength should be his weakness; his strength should be her weakness. It is the yin and yang that should be the force that pushes forth the relationship.”

With this great advice in mind, I’m going back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home