In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Friday, May 19, 2006

Philosophy Friday

GOOD VIEW















GOOD STUFF
I'm signing Afternoon Delight tomorrow at the Book Expo of America. Tori Carrington, Brenda Novak and Gena Showalter will be there too
My CP Lisa comes home from Fiji today (see photo above)
I got a doctor's appointment for Monday for my back pain


GOOD ADVICE

Google yourself and include the word 'blog' in your search to see what's out there about you. If you find yourself being used to make a point, should you take the high road and say nothing in response?

How things got started: Wayne Jordan's article at Romancing the Blog and Millenia Black's description of the 'editorial change' her publisher requested. Then Monica Jackson had this to say and Camilla Bartley expresed her views.

Here's what I have to say:
I don't try to 'pass'. I am who I am and I write what I write.

My first Blaze featured an interracial couple- the heroine was African American and the hero was Caucasian. My third Blaze had both an African American hero and heroine. My other two Blazes feature a white/ Latino couple and a white/ Asian couple respectively.

I make every effort to get the reader to see my characters as people first and foremost, not black people or white people or Cuban people or Japanese people.

Yes, part of that is playing to the market, but the choice of how my people are portrayed was mine and mine alone. I've never hidden anyone's skin color, though many readers tell me they had no idea of the characters ethnicity. My goal has always been and will always be to bring the hero and heroine to life in a way that the reader can put herself into the story, no matter what color skin she or the character has.

1 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yikes!

I loved the heroine in Afternoon Delight because the heroine's background added depth to her character. I never thought of it as an ethnic issue...the Cherry Blossom festival scene was beautiful by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home