In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

IDOL- Sing It Like Yamin It

I have a question before I get into my recap- what the hell has Priscilla Presley done to her face?? Those lips were scary.

So, it was Elvis night on American Idol (thankya, thankya vey moch) and going into it I figured that Elliott and Taylor would do well with the material. I was both right and wrong.

ELLIOTT didn't do well, he kicked ass and took names and made sure America knows his. This man is smart: he chose songs ("If I Can Dream" and "Trouble") that most people didn't know and therefore couldn't compare to the original. He chose songs that perfectly suited his style and he gave them all he had.

Elliott has been in the bottom three more times than the others contestants combined and he knows he's got to develop a Wow Factor. And that, my friends is why he was so damned good tonight- he's the only one who isn't overly confident about his appeal and that makes him very appealing to me. Even Simon said he gave the best perfomances tonight and deserved to go on to the next round!

Competing for 2nd Place tonight, in my opinion, are Taylor and Chris.

TAYLOR's rendition of 'Jailhouse Rock" was typically fun and crazy but he can be over the top and I frankly never liked the song, even when the King sang it. However, I think Taylor did a terrific job with "In the Ghetto"! He toned down and put his heart into the song and really got the emotion across. That performance will keep him in the competition.

I quite liked CHRIS's version of "Suspicious Minds"! It sounded really nice, not strained at all and different from the original and he did a great job. I think he did a good job with his second performance of "A Little Less Conversation" but I didn't like the song until halfway through and then he wrecked it by yelling. But, he'll be here next week.

I will be very surprised if Katharine doesn't go home tomorrow night.

I like her, she has talent and a beautiful voice and I can see her doing Broadway musicals. But she just sucks at song choice. "Hound Dog" is an awful song, "All Shook Up" isn't much better. I'm glad she had fun, but she would have been _much_ better served doing one of Elvis' beautiful ballads and even one of his gospel songs. I think people get so hung up on Elvis being the King of Rock & Roll, they forget that man had a gorgeous singing voice for slower, heartfelt music. And therein lies the rub.

KATHARINE has no soul. Guest coachTommy Mottola nailed it when he said that "the notes come so easily that she forgets what she's singing about". Either the girl has never suffered a heartbreak in her life or she simply doesn't have a clue how to emote. Hopefully at some point very soon she will stop thinking about all of the training her mother has given her and learn to sing from the heart.

Chris rarely sings from the heart either (the exceptions being "Walk the Line" and "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman" which I like to think he was singin to his wife) but is good at choosing material that doesn't warrant it.I still think he is The Chosen One. Taylor has heart and a whole lotta soul ("Takin' It to the Streets") but he hasn't put a lot into his songs the past few weeks until tonight. He neds to bring his A-game or he'll be next to leave. And then there's Eliott, who Simon and Randy have apparently both dismissed on interviews as not having a chance. We'll see- America loves an underdog.

1 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger Cash for Cars Indianapolis said...

At this point I hate to see any of them voted off. I think that they are all awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home