In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Idol Final Five

First let me say that I feel old!
Tonight the contestants had to sing songs from the year of their birth and nobody was doing Frank Sinatra's "Summer Wind", the Supremes "Can't Hurry Love" or Simon & Garfunkel's "Hazy Shade of Winter". LOL They also had to do a song from this week's Billboard chart... none of which I had heard of except the Beatles "Something"... Ah, well. Onto my recap-

ELLIOTT was up first and did a damned fine job with "On Broadway". His voice sounded great and he looked very comfortable. I disagreed with Simon saying this wasn't one of his best. I didn't like the Michael Buble song but I again liked the sound of his voice and I'm predicting he makes it to the end.

I think PARIS did an okay job with Prince, and much better with Mary J. Blige, but one thing I finally noticed about her is she tries to imitate every artist whose song she performs. The girl definitely has talent so I hope she someday figures out how to sing like PARIS Bennett. My opinion? Good tries but she's going home tomorrow.

CHRIS's version of "Renegade" was great. It was so good to hear him reign in that power voice and just do agreat job with a good song choice. I hated "I Dare You" because he was singing from his throat again instead of his diaphragm and the strain on his voice was obvious. Still, he is the most stage-ready of any of the contestants and I say again he's the next AI

I don't know what to say about KATHARINE. She has a beautiful voice, but I'm not sure where she fits? "Take a Look at Me Now" wasn't the best song for her- I think Randy was right about the key. I have no idea what the other song was and her performance was wierd. Saying it was better than the first, though, isn't saying it was good. She's not out yet, but I just don't think she's going to win.

Damn it was nice to see the 'real' TAYLOR again tonight. Too bad his voice wasn't up to "Play the Funky Music, White Boy". The band drowned him out a few times when his voice gave. He did a much better job with the Beatles tune and put a lot of feeling behind it. I really like him but agree with Simon's wedding performer comments. However Taylor has a huge fan base which will keep him in the running another couple of weeks.

Top performances tonight: Elliott 'On Broadway" and Chris "Renegade"
Bottom performances tonight: Taylor the 'Funky White Boy'; Katharine 'Not the One for Me"
Headed for home- Paris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home