In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Amer Idol- Love Songs

Tonight it really was all about love- I loved three of the performances; the judges loved two of the performances and in my opinion only love is going to move anyone to the next round.

KATHARINE came out strong with what I thought was the best performance she's ever given. Usually too polished and controlled, I loved seeing her passion for the first time tonight as she belted out "I Have Nothing". I honestly think she loved the song and gave it all she had and so I was stunned to hear all three judges criticize her choice.

I said after Mandisa was cut that I wasn't going to vote again but I did- and still am trying to- vote for ELLIOTT. He did a great job with "I'm Singing This Song for You" because this is the best style for him and he so obviously loved the material. You could see it in his performance, his emotion and his effort. Elliott consistently chooses difficult songs and most often does them well.

It's time for KELLIE to go home. She is very cute and I like her personality, but at this stage it's obvious who can really sing and even more obvious that she's struggling. She butchered "Unchained Melody" and that damned Vote for the Worst website needs to stop.

It's also time for PARIS. I think she is a talented girl with a bright future ahead of her but as Simon pointed out she tries to imitate older singer instead of finding her own voice. "The Way Were Were" is a heart-breaking, poignant ode to lost love and she just isn't mature enough to understand the material. Don't be surprised if she is cut tomorrow night.

Here's where love comes into the equation again. TAYLOR did not love the song he performed and it showed. Even Simon pointed out that he looked uptight, which is normally the last word you'd use for fun, funky Taylor. But if tonight was the only time I saw him perform I'd vote him off in a heartbeat for his weak version of "Just Once."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think CHRIS was singing "Have You Really Ever Loved a Woman" to his wife tonight. He's a hardcore rawker but he absolutely knows how to put real emotion into his performance for the slower songs he's done. I've been having my doubts that he would make it all the way- heavy rock doesn't have broad appeal- but after these last two 'gentler' performances, I'm back to my original prediction that Chris will be the next Idol.

3 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I agree Taylor was weak, but I voted like heck for him because I know he can do better! I agree also Kelly should go home. Chris was AWESOME, and he's so not my favorite, so it's hard for me to say ;)

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Love reading your Idol comments every Wednesday, Mia! I definitely agree with exactly what you said...Katharine was great, and I don't get why they didn't like her. It boggled me. Kellie, Taylor, and Paris all gave very weak performances. And Chris...I seriously doubted he could do it last night...but I went to bed a very happy woman last night. :-)

Shannon

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Oh, and ELLIOT! Great performance. I was amazed at how comfortable he looked after a few weeks of really looking like he wasn't all that at home on the stage.

Shannon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home