In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Amer Idol- Seven Up

I forgot American Idol was on and so I missed CHRIS. Waaahh! 'Coz I'm told he did a really great job singing "What a Wonderful World"; that it really showed the audience what his voice can do.

I did catch PARIS and I'm so glad. Simon is right- it is so weird to hear that Minnie Mouse speaking voice and then have the girl blow your mind with her singing. She did a great job, more so because she just stood there and showcased her voice instead of bouncing all over the stage. I don't think Paris will be the AI, but I do think she can look back on this experience proudly and say she tried different things to see what worked. Note to Paris- standards and classics work for you!

Soul Patrol- whoo! When TAYLOR started singing, I thought the repetitious lyrics would be boring and he was too staid, but then Wow the real Taylor showed up and kicked ass. Loved it, (not as much as the night he sang Takin it to the Streets) but loved it. Taylor is a real wild card in this competition. On the one hand he's hugely popular with his fan base. But on the other his style is a little limited. After AI he should stick to the blues and be a huge success.

I really like ELLIOTT and was so happy that he was relaxed on the stage for a change. I think it's because he likes this kind of material and knows it suits his voice. He did a very nice job with "It had to Be You" and came across as comfortable and sincere. But I think Simon was trying to influence the voting by saying he lacked personality. Which, compared to some other contestants... He does. However I hope he stays another week.

When Paula only comments on how someone looks, then you know that KELLIE's gorgeous shoes were not enough to save her performance. As Simon put it, she dropped the "Bewitched" and the "Bothered" and was just "Bewildered". She made a mess of the song and sang the whole thing through her nose.

ACE sang "That's All". I can only hope so. And as much as I pick on his pretty-boy image, he needs to leave his hair loose. Maybe it's like Samson 'coz Ace's singing was painful last night. I think the judges and I heard completely different performances.

KATHARINE did a very nice job and showed some real talent instead of just skill with "Someone to Watch Over Me", but I think the performance was too slow and I got bored toward the end. Very pretty but no Wow factor and I disagree with Simon that she was the best overall.

As for who goes home this week...? Tough call. I think Ace, Elliott and Paris will be the bottom three yet again. But while I still argue Elliott has more talent than Ace, I'm afraid the underwear model will be here next week.

1 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Mia - I was SHOCKED by the bottom 3. I thought for sure it would be the other group!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home