In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Monday, April 10, 2006

Hot Sex & Cold Dinners

I'm tired and my brain hurts from working on a new story idea. So I'll leave you with my short essay that was included in a charity anthology called CRUMBS IN THE KEYBOARD- Women Juggling Life & Writing. "Over seventy-five women authors share their courageous true-to-life stories of juggling life and writing in this special book dedicated to the support of women everywhere and to the education and awareness of domestic abuse."

HOT SEX and COLD DINNERS
copyright 2001
Enrico stares at her, his gaze hot and demanding as it sweeps over Valentina’s lush figure. His nostrils flare, like a stallion sensing a mare in heat, and he rips open his shirt. Val throws back her head, uttering a throaty laugh of triumph. She intends to instruct her young lover on the art of pleasing a woman in bed. Rico stalks toward her, determined to prove he has lessons of his own to teach. He holds out his arms and …

… hurls his little body toward me, screaming at the top of his two-year-old lungs. Zac’s favorite toy fire truck is jammed under the coffee table. I rescue the truck and comfort my son, realizing my train of thought is derailed. There’s no point in trying to get back to my manuscript now. Besides, it’s time to make the important decision between hotdogs or toasted cheese sandwiches. After lunch, we’ll both take a much-needed nap.

As he pulls her roughly into his embrace, Val’s nipples bead against the hard muscles of his broad chest. Rico presses one sinewy thigh to the juncture between her bare legs and lowers his head for a soul-stealing kiss. His hot lips are full and soft and taste like…

… frozen pizza. Again. It’s the second time this week, but a key scene is finally coming together and I don’t want to stop work just to fix a real dinner. I’m in the flow and really have to finish the great dialogue that appears as if by magic on the computer screen.

Val steps back, allowing the satin robe to pool at her feet. Her body is on fire from wanting him and Rico’s rigid desire is painfully obvious against his zipper. He swiftly undresses, dropping his jeans and silk boxers on the floor…

…adding to the ever-growing pile of laundry. The ‘dry clean only’ items need to be separated out before they accidentally end up in the wash. But first, I need to write a good cliffhanger for the next chapter, something to make an editor keep reading.

The harsh rhythm of her breathing matches the pounding beat of his heart. Eagerly, Val arches her body to meet Rico’s, her fingers clasping his firm butt. A fine sheen of sweat rolls down his sun-bronzed flesh to puddle between her breasts. Rico rocks his hips forward again and again as she gasps in sweet agony. The sensation is pure and explosive and Val sinks into the darkness of…

…complete exhaustion. I’ve spent most of the night trying to wring every last emotion from my brain and create what I hope is sparkling prose. My muse deserted me halfway through an awkward scene and I’m struggling to tap in to the well of whatever talent I might possess. After staring helplessly at the keyboard for another fifteen minutes, I give up. The clock reads 2:00 am and I need to get some sleep before Zac wakes up at 6:30.

The earth shakes with the power of their climax and, as Val and Rico revel in one another’s passionate ardor, the very heavens weep at the depth of their love. The End

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home