In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Friday, September 29, 2006

Philosophy Friday

GOOD VIEW














GOOD NEWS
We survived the two tornados that touched down in our neighborhood last night!
My husband's hand surgery went well this morning.
My CP Melissa James' latest book goes on sale tomorrow!

GOOD ADVICE
"There's a transition stage that happens when a writer goes from not-writing to writing or back again. It's probably different for everyone (I get more of a jolt when I have to stop writing) but I think there are ways to make it easier.

I clear my mind as much as possible before I begin writing, usually with morning meditation. At night, before I edit, I take a shower or soak in the tub... I think attitude also factors in how abrupt or shocking the transition from person to writer or editor is. I look at the blank page as work space, not that blind white glaring eye as other writers often describe it. I'm not afraid of it; we're old pals... I have no expectations, no hovering self-critic; writing well for me means not worrying about writing well at all. Fighting the words, letting frustration set up house in my head or getting tangled up in a quest for utter perfection only inhibits me. The more relaxed and calm I am, the better writer or editor I become.

Find the things that do the same for you and that transition may get a bit easier." - Lynn Viehl, Paperback Writer

1 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Ahh the tornado. We were at Giant in the car when it hit. Scariest event of my life. All thoughts of Maryland being natural disaster neutral...gone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home