In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Monday, September 04, 2006

Don't Muck with It


That was one of the late Steve Irwin's catch phrases, along with "Crikey! She's a real beauty!"

He died today- or rather yesterday since Australia's time zone is 14 ahead of mine- in a freak accident caused by a sting ray's barb. Apparently sting rays don't sting unless they feel scared and Steve accidentally scared it. The toxin isn't poisonous but the stab through Steve's heart was.

I have to say I really adored that guy and his shows. The first time I ever saw his Crocodile Hunter show was at a friend's house and I remember thinking, 'This guy is a complete lunatic. But I did learn a lot about crocs.' The first song my son ever sang by himself was the theme to The Croc Files: "Here we go again adventuring, where the wild, wild creatures hang. We're gonna have a gorgeous very very dangerous time my friend..."

I was especially enamored of the story about how Steve met his American wife, Terri. He said in an interview it was love at first sight for him when Terri visited Australia Zoo on holiday. And it must have been for her as well because I can't imagine leaving your family, friends and country to go halfway around the world to marry a guy who plays with snakes otherwise.

I don't know why I'm so upset by this- I didn't know him personally. But I really liked him and this is almost as much of a shock as Princess Diana and John Kennedy Jr.'s deaths. I guess because Steve Irwin was such a nature nut and handled so many different kind of critters and made it look so easy, it made you think he was invincible.

I just find it sadly ironic that he was killed by one of the many creatures he cared so much about.

1 Comments:

At 1:22 AM, Blogger Robena Grant said...

I know! What a great man, and even greater because his dad refused a state funeral saying, "Steve wouldn't have wanted that." I didn't know him personally, but like you, I really liked him and what he stood for. He was one of those blokes who was larger than life. His enthusiasm was infectious.
Hard to believe I was there on the other side of Cairns, while he was out on the reef filming ... such a sad loss.
Roben

 

Post a Comment

<< Home