In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Friday, October 06, 2006

Philosophy Friday

GOOD VIEW















GOOD NEWS
A good friend talked me out of what might have been one hell of a writers block [Thanks, Rachel!] Unfortunately I didn't write a single word on the WIP before the block dropped on me like a ton of bricks because my editor for ASOM got fired and I have no idea what is going to happen at the moment. So why is this good news? It's not, really. I'm just holding tight to the whole closed door/opened window thing, determined to honor the work and finish the book.

GOOD ADVICE
"How do you work?" someone once asked Einstein. "I grope," he replied... As an image, groping has associations with unpleasant activities like stumbling around, feeling blindly with your fingers in the dark, or enduring a series of false starts and wrong turns. In other words, as an image it so perfectly captures the experience of writing... A professional writer's view of his or her work [should] include in it the reality that all artistic effort, in the final analysis, is groping toward something."
--Dennis Palumbo, Writing From the Inside Out

1 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

He he heee. "I grope." That's good--and oh, so true. I love that quote!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Mia! I'd forgotten you met my Music Man in NYC, but I certainly remember hanging out with you.

Psychic Celeste anyone? ;-)

Anyway, I'm glad you got talked through your writers block. Sometimes that's all it takes.

And I'll be waiting to hear what happens with ASOM. I've been waiting for that book for a long time, so keep me posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home