In Search of the Fiction Fairy

award-wining author Mia Zachary's online diary where she ponders the meaning of life, strives to improve her craft and generally mouths off

Friday, January 13, 2006

I'm Looking for My Muse

Despite the fact that I've taught classes on how to overcome this problem, including for the RWA National conference in Reno last summer, I have to confess that I struggled horribly with writer's block for most of 2005.

With the New Year comes a new determination to get back in touch with my creativity, get some goddamned discipline and get a clue as to what I really want to be writing.

Ever since Christmas, I've been goofing off from the Work in Progress due to holiday madness and a lack of vision in regard to this story. So I've been playing. Yes, playing. I gave my inner child permission to 'be' and she's been having a good old time.

There's a great article on Jennifer Crusie's site that got me so jazzed I spent _hours_ browsing magazines at Barnes& Noble. I've started something for my wip, and though I'm nowhere near finished, it's already helping me visualize the story!

Also I was at Walmart with my son, looking for a new outfit for the Fairytopia Barbie in my office [My muse is called the Fiction Fairy]. Then my six year old grabbed something off the shelf and said, maybe she's not helping me work because she needs her own computer. Zac held up a Barbie Fashion Fever Study Room box- it has a desk with a PC, manuscript pages, Kleenex and a latte cup! The Fiction Fairy seems much happier now and I'm hoping to get back to writing again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home